Saturday, September 25, 2004

Mittens and the Elegant Ewe

Just posted a picture of the 2 pairs of mittens to match the girl's ponchos. I used up all the leftover scrap yarn. Isn't that always a good feeling? Also, the other picture is my thrummed mittens project. I have succumbed to the mitten obsession that is going on all around the blog world. I actually have had this Robin Hansen book for about 10 or 12 years. No....I have never made one of the mittens. But, Lo and behold there is a thrummed mitten pattern in there. Also, photos showing how to knit in the fleece. Stephanie and Crystal are hosting a "Thrum along", which starts on Monday. I think it will be a lot of fun.
yesterday I decided to try to find the "Elegant Ewe" in Concord. I had heard that it was a great shop. Concord is about an hour away from me. So, I popped up MapQuest and printed off directions. With a devil may care attitude, I headed off to Concord. I did not care that it was a Friday and 2:30 in the afternoon when I was leaving. I got there at 3:30. When I walked into the store I thought I had found Heaven. I have never seen SO much yarn, patterns gadgets...... I walked around and drooled till five minutes before 5:00. Of course they close at 5:00. I think I showed great restraint in my purchases. My main reason for the trip was to pick up some roving for the mittens. I got a huge ball of roving, enough for several pairs of mittens. Also, 2 skeins of Frogtree Alpaca in a lovely pink shade, a little holder for sewing needles and a new shawl pattern. I had the Meadowflower shawl pattern in my hand....In all my excitement I must have put it down, because I came home without it.Oh well, I guess I will have to make a trip back to get that some day (Very Big Grin). The frogtree alpaca will make a great Flower Basket Shawl. It is fingering weight , so I think I can use it single stranded. When I left Concord the traffic was terrible. It took me two hours in bumper to bumper traffic. But, the trip was well worth it. All for now folks!!! Have a great weekend everyone.