Saturday, October 01, 2005

Lovely mittens and a visit to the frog pond

I wish you could feel these lovely mittens I have finished. They are incredibly soft and comfy. The pattern is from Dawn Brocco's "Love Collection". I bought it at Patternworks in Center Harbor several weeks ago. The yarn is Plymouth Alpaca Boucle. They have an X and O cable all around the cuff area.The mittens take three skeins of yarn. I love this yarn, it is easy to work with and does not split like some boucles. These are Christmas presents for my sister and a friend. I bought enough yarn to make a pair for myself. This yarn would make a wonderful scarf. There is a cabled scarf in the collection to match the mittens. I very rarely knit for myself. I have several things on my list I want to make for me. So...... I started the "rib and cable socks" from the Fall Interweave Knits. I love the looks of the cable and ribbing. I am using Mountain Colors "Bearfoot" in the shade Ruby River. I know I have mentioned before that "Bearfoot " is my favorite sock yarn. It is wonderful to knit with. I thought I better try the sock on before I turn the heel. Well, with all the cables it is too tight around my calf. Needless to say I was very disappointed. I decided into the frog pond it would go. Rippppppppppppppppp! As I was ripping out all the lovely cabling I stopped at the top ribbing. I really like the looks of the ribbing. It is Knit 4, purl2,knit2 purl 2. I decided to keep the ribbing and use it all the way down till I turn the heel. I will let you know how they turn out. I did finish the Canteen Bag. I just need to stitch it together before I felt it. This weekend is Deerfield Fair. I don't think we are going to make it this year. It is so crowded on the weekend. We usually try to go over on a Thursday or Friday. I would like to pick some apples. It is going to be gorgeous tomorrow. I may try to gather my sisters and head out to the orchard. I love this time of year. The trees are just starting to turn a bit. I am going to take plenty of pictures to share with you. Well, it is a beautiful day and I am going out to enjoy it. I want to collect some pinecones and acorns today. Have a great weekend and enjoy the weather.