Friday, September 02, 2005

It is mitten time!

It is Mitten time again... I love to knit mittens. I have three or four books about mittens and a slew of patterns. Each mitten is a new adventure. I have my eye on
this book. I am not sure when it will be released. I bought Fox & Geese & Fences when it came out in the late 80's. I love Robin Hansen's designs. Should be fun to see what is in her new book. The mitten picture I have posted is a free pattern on the Internet. The first mitten is from the Knitlist. It is called
M&M mittens . These were very fun to make. They will probably fit age 6 to 8 years of age. I would like to play around with this pattern to make some larger sizes. It really is an adorable mitten. They tell you to use a different color for each row of window panes. I think I will try the next pair like they suggest. It have a great thumb design. You knit six stitches with waste yarn and then slide them back on the left needle and knit them again. I have made a few mittens with this technique. It has become one of my favorites. The second mitten is the "Bulky Mitten" from "Weekend Knitting" by Melanie Falick . I used two strands of my Bartlett yarn that I had over dyed. This is another great pattern. It works up quickly with two strands of yarn and a size 10 and 1/2 double pointed needle. I made several pairs of these for the "Mitten Tree" last year. The last photo is of a "Lucy Bag" for my co-worker for Christmas. She loves the color grey and will be thrilled with this. I felted it tonight and have it drying on the deck. Speaking of the deck.... I spent all day and evening staining it. We have lattice work all around the bottom. I am sure you can all relate to the fun I had staining those tiny slats. I never thought I would finish. Hopefully it will be dry enough to start the second coat tomorrow. It is going to be a gorgeous weekend . We are hoping to take the boat to another lake. There is a lake about 20 minutes away with plenty of bass waiting for us. I am sure a mitten and book will be aboard the boat too. Hope you all have a safe and wonderful Labor Day weekend.