Sunday, October 30, 2005

New Mittens

I started my new mittens for the Warm Hands KAL. I am making a pair from a book I bought last year. It is called Magnificent Mittens . They are made from the tip down. This is a really great idea... You can try them on as you go along. If you have made socks from the toe up , it is the same technique. The thumb is also made separate. You insert it into the mitten when you are at a certain point. There are some wonderful mittens in this book. I am not a huge fan of the "Gauntlet" style cuffs. I am going to try some different cuffs on some of them. There are also some interesting edging you can do around the cuff. I would highly recommend this book to any mitten lover. Speaking of new mitten books. I remember that Robin Hansen was coming out with a new book. It is called "Favorite Mittens" . It is a updated collection of mittens from two of her older books. I have her "Fox,Geese and Fences" book. It was the first mitten book I purchased and one of my favorites. I am going to cast on another pair of socks too. I need to make a few more for Christmas presents. Last week, I made the "Lace Watch cap" from Hats On! By Charlene Schurch. I have made three hats form this book. It is another one of my favorite books. I would like to find a copy of her new sock book. I am a huge fan of her work. Well...That is all for today. I am making corned beef and cabbage for supper. I have to get peeling. Happy knitting everyone.